Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Basque point of view

I have admittedly been having a bit of fun with my students in class and asking them some pretty thought provoking questions while taking the piss out of them.  Now I believe that there is a difference between Basque and Spanish people, no matter how big or small they might be, but I wanted to get my students' views on the matter.  Therefore, I asked them kindly to list 5 differences between Basque and Spanish people and these were some of their best answers.

The first thing my students even begin to say before I finish my sentence is "We are better".  OK, but why?  Here's a list of reasons.

1. "Basque people speak another language."  
2. "We are different"
3. "We (meaning Basque people) are not so friendly."
4.  "They have big citys but we have citys and farms, too."
5.  "The basque we ae very inteligent."
6.  "In Basque country there are a lot of mountains which are green all the trees, but in other countries in Spain there aren't."
 7.  "The Spanish people are "fachas" (They are like "Franco")."
 8.  "The rest of Spain stole the money of basque country because we have got a lot of money.  The Basque people no."
9.  "Basque people haven't got cold, because are in the north."
10. "We are near the cost."
11. "We have got mountains and natural spaces."
12.  "The basque people shout a lot."


Basic Spanish
sellos - stamps

Advanced Spanish
No está horno para buyos - I'm not in the mood

Basque
Mendietan (men-dee-a-tan)- mountains

British
I can't be bothered - I'm not in the mood

3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Congratulations on your blog. Just two minor corrections: I believe the correct expression would be "No está el horno para bollos", which means literally "the oven is not ready for bread rolls" but actually means "now is not a good time". Also, I believe that mountain in Basque would be "mendia". "Mendietan" would be its inessive plural form (i.e. "in the mountains").

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡No tengo chichi para farolillos!
    podrías traducirmelo porfi???
    Matt, great post! I would like to know what YOU think the differences btwn Spanish and Basque people are...and while we are at it...what is a Spanish person like anyway???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks anonymouses for the inputs. The corrections are well done and you've forced me to learn a new word "inessive". Sorry anonymous #2, I have no idea what the phase above means and I will hopefully be able to elaborate on what I think the differences are and what Spanish people are in an entirely new post.

    ReplyDelete