Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

My Two Month Reflection


Well, I have just finished my second month and I feel obligated to post something.  A couple quick observations before we dive into anything.  First, I've never been more injury prone in my life than when I've been here.  I have battled (and still battling in some cases) the inability to sleep, stomach problems, a cold, and a bum knee.  Also, I haven't been traveling as much as I have wanted nor have I mingled with non-English speakers.  It's very similar to study abroad in the fact that there are so many people doing this program in Bilbao.  In addition, it is very easy to get work in Spain if you speak English; everyone wants to learn how to speak English (speak is the key word, because let's face it, the grammar is relatively simple. Finally, the iPod touch 4th generation is one of the greatest travel companions that one could have.

Positives & Negatives & Works in Progress
Of the first two months I have experienced some positives and some negatives. Positives first, of course.  A positive is that I have developed a good core groups of friends.  It makes it easier and cures homesickness.  Another positive is that Liz and I have been able to pull in some extra income to supplement our salaries.  Believe it or not, my Spanish is getting better.  Also, I have tried new things thanks to the people I have surrounding me.

The negatives are as follows.  We have yet to meet any Spanish friends to call our own.  We have met some Spanish people, but they're friends of friends.  Hence we speak in English to each other.  Moreover, we have yet to do more than day trips.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Santander and San Sebastian, even Haro, but I need to travel more.  Even getting out to the mountains every now and again for some good old fashion hiking.  Luckily for me we are improving and will be venturing to Valencia in December and to Malta, Scotland, and England for Christmas (tentative schedule, but Malta is for sure).  This drought has been in part due to the increased prices accompanying transportation these days.  Siestas are getting the best of me!!!  I keep taking 2 hour naps, which would normally be OK, except for the fact that the sunrise is at 9-ish here and the sunset is at about 5:30-ish.  So I wake up when its dark in the morning and nap the remainder of the sunlight away at night.  

Works in Progress is my favorite, yet crippling category.  It's everything I hope to be doing but will most likely never accomplishment, but here it goes anyway.  One thing that I have been working is acquiring in basis in the Basque language.  It's quite interesting to me because its more of an immersion type of learning;  I'm not taking any classes, but I'm frequently being spoken to in it and inquiring about certain meanings.  So far I can say the basics: Zer moduz? (how are you), ondo (good), oso nekatuta nago (I am very tired), eta zu? (and you), Kaixo (hello) and agur (goodbye).  Another work in progress is taking pictures.  It's very difficult going out into rain to take pictures.  There's very little ambition to do anything with the rain.  It's like the Seattle of Spain.  Reading.  In both English and Spanish.  I would like to read more, but I still prefer (and probably will always prefer) films/movies.  And last but not least, trying to understand people from England, Scotland, and Ireland.   I have never realized it before, but our English is completely different.  I was walking home tonight from the pool hall listening to two Scottish people talk.  I understood maybe 70% of what they said, and thats a stretch.  Thanks for the reads and I hope you got some insight.  Next time will be about traveling and pictures, lo juro.  Stay tuned...




No comments:

Post a Comment