Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

A common ground: Cats, Dogs, & Students

Dear Bilbao, you are beautiful when the sun shines.  Why can't you be sunny everyday?  Today has been a surprisingly uplifting day.  It all began when one of my students pointed out to me the family of cats that live in the courtyard of our school.  A nice multi-racial family with two orange cats and two grey cats.  Then, my last two classes got cancelled.  Next, the sun came out.  Good day.

 Even though I've lived here for a while now, some things still astound me.

1.  The obedience that Spanish dogs show to their owners is incredible.  They are hardly ever on a leash and almost never bark.  Maybe its because they beat them, maybe its because the walk them everyday, and maybe its a little of both.  Either way, its wonderful.  But why can't their owners just pick up their dog's poop?

2.  In connection with point number 1, Spanish children almost never obey their parents.  OK, this might be  a lie, but it seems like it.

3.  I'm not sure what it is, but Spanish people have a fetish with electrodomesticos (appliances), cooking utensils, pots, and pans.  On my way to work I always pass someone stopped outside of the appliance shop staring through the window at the appliances.  Frankly, I don't get it.  Sure, I love a good coffee maker or pizza oven, but not enough to lust after it.  Just buy it and get on with your lives.

4.  Why do Basque people need 6 days to celebrate Christmas. OK, not 6, but Olentzero comes on the 24th, Santa on the 25th, and the Three Kings on the 6th of January, and in some cases the kids get presents on all days.  Spanish people wonder why their children are spoiled (not all Spanish children are spoiled, but a few are).

Well thats all for today.  Until next time...

Spanish
Lonchas-Slices:  Can I have 3 slices of ham please? ¿Puedo tener 3 lonchas de jamon por favor?

Basque
Olentzero-basque santa clause:  He lives in the mountain in Navarra, smokes a pipe, has a beard, rides a donkey, and carries a sack of presents and coal.

British English
Fit Bird-Hot Girl:  The word "fit" means hot and "Bird" means girl.  Boys can also be fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment