Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Ruptured!

As I was lying on the ultrasound table, the ultrasound technician was getting ready to take pretty pictures of my calf muscle, he asked me "so where does it hurt in your calf".  After pondering the question for a few split questions, I couldn't help but bring to his attention that it wasn't my calf, but my ankle area (that coupled with the purple, black, and green discoloration near my ankle).  After he gave my ankle a quick one over, without warning or sugar-coating of the facts, he blurts out that my achilles tendon is torn almost completely.  He continued to mention that I would need surgery and that they would have to break the tendon completely in order to reattach it.  Thank you ultrasound technician.  Needless to say, my heart sank into the pit of my stomach.  Oh well, you win some, you lose most.

After talking to my parents, my health insurance, and my flight insurance, I decided to come home and get the surgery, so that I could set foot on North American soil for the first time in 14 months.  Also, I have more people to take care of me during my 6 weeks of non-weight bearing boredom.  Now its time for rehab, which will be done in a large boot, while I'm in Europe again.  So that's fun, right?

2 comments:

  1. These entries are getting more painful by the minute. Hope you are faring better now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Yeah, I guess you could say that. Unfortunately, I don't imagine them getting any better. Sorry for the downer, I'll try to describe the pain in less detail next time.

    ReplyDelete