Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

European state of mind at six months

Yesterday I had officially passed the 6 month mark in Europe, coincidently marking the longest period of time that I have ever been in Europe, out of the United States, and away from Wisconsin.  The once daunting number of 300,000 inhabitants now seems obsolete.  The once charming cry for independence now seems like an annoying cry for attention.  The once misconception of a terrorist people has now blossomed into an admiration for a resilient culture.  I understand that the last two are a bit of a contradiction, but yeah...

It's funny to think back to when I first decided to do this program.  I was in my third year at the university when I heard about this opportunity.  I was in a relationship that had outstayed its welcome, with a career of nothing but certainty lying in front of me.  It seemed as though the opportunity to expand my cultural boundaries would forever become nothing more than a dream. I have and will always be a dreamer, clouded by Hollywood's portrayal of perfection, which is of course a huge character flaw.  Always trying to please while rarely attending to my own feelings, needs, and desires. It's scary to think how quickly tides can change and you can feel pinned in with little hope for escape.  Needless to say that I was looking for an out in any way possible.

Then a series of events ensued that changed my life for the better.  New friends took hold, new intimacies were discovered, graduation was in sight, and quite frankly, the stars all aligned, or so it seemed.  I was presented an opportunity, so I decided to take the opportunity and escape reality for awhile, because in all seriousness, it's these experiences that change your life forever.

I'm still evolving in terms of me and I'm having a ball doing it.  The experiences that I'm gaining contain a plethora of attainable knowledge that when unleashed in the proper moment with flawless presentation  can open a Pandora's box limitless potential for those who dare to listen.  Everyone began their lives in a similar fashion, but it was those who sought opportunities, experiences, and took risks that have excelled.  I both admire and covet their achievements.  I have neither the desire to ascend to society's highest positions nor the mental and emotional capacity to do so, but I do have an understanding of the tools necessary to achieve excellence and a willingness to share those with others.  Stay tuned...

Spanish Basic
perder--to lose (Like Marquette is doing at this moment)

Advanced Spanish
Hacer boca--eat something to warm up the stomach

Basque
Morrazoa--shark

British English
dummy--pacifier

1 comment:

  1. Going abroad always clarifies your life/makes it so much more confusing!

    PS-good Advanced Spanish slang; I hadn't heard it!

    ReplyDelete