Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

How to speak adolescent Spanish in 7 simple words

Allow me to say first off that I love my job.  It's true that students learn from us as much as we learn from them.  Before I came to Spain this time around I thought that Spanish was a normal language full of grammar and vocabulary.  After spending six months with the future of the Spanish (or Basque) world, I have realized that the Spanish language is made up of a handful of key words.  Ala, Venga, Toma, Mariconaso, Tonto, Joder, Qué? (Note that all of these words must be said with an over exaggerated accent of an adolescent with an aspirated tone). 

Something happens that they think is cool they might respond Ala or Toma.  If it is someone they don't like they might use Mariconaso or Tonto.  If they get something wrong they'll use Joder.  Of course, when they don't know what you said (as you can see I didn't use "if"), they'll use Qué?  If an alien comes down and rips off someone's head they'll use Ala, Toma, or Venga.  If I had to give English equivalents they would be: Ala would be "no way", Venga would be "come on", Toma would be "sweet", Mariconaso would be "big fag" (sorry, their words, not mine), Tonto would be "stupid", Joder would be "fuck", and Qué would be "What, huh".   That's all for today, stay tuned...


Basic Spanish
Voy al - I go to (useful for speaking to taxi and bus drivers)

Advanced Spanish
La ebullición - boiling point

Basque
onegin (on again) - Bon appetite, enjoy your meal

British English 


No comments:

Post a Comment