Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Holy week in Sevilla

A rainy Portugal followed us into Sevilla (Seville for all you British speakers) and caused major issues for the "Semana Santa" processions, which were at best mediocre.  Last time I was in Spain during the holy week, I fled Spain for a multi-country adventure.  Being that I might be a future Spanish language teacher, I decided that I must experience one of Spain's biggest festivals in one of its most famous locations.  My overall impressions of the processions in Sevilla , based on my experiences, were "eh".  Its just difficult for anything to live up to its hype after getting it hyped to you year after year, but a few things did surprise me.

First, I'm impressed at the amount of Spaniards that gathered to view the festivities.  Also, I didn't know that the "cofrades" (people in the pointed caps) had the opportunity to dress in multiple colors.  Furthermore, if you are part of a church and you cannot attend your "paso" (procession), you can get someone to go in your stead (if you have more questions on the costumes and preparation feel free to check out Tony Luell's experience at http://puravidaenespana.blogspot.com/).  And now for my best Sevilla photos.















No comments:

Post a Comment