Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

15 musts when traveling Europe with your parents

Preparation, flexibility, and openness.  This is my recipe for a successful vacation, trip, or journey when traveling with any first-timers, but is essential for people who are not used to being outside their comfort zones.  Before I begin to criticize my parents, I just would like to admit that they did much better than I ever expected and that I'm extremely proud of them for it.


Before you go:

1.  Preparation is crucial.  Although you might be the type of person that can travel on a whim, your parents are neither mentally nor physically equipped.  Provide them with an itinerary, but make it understood that certain plans can change.

2.  Let your parents do the planning.  I let my father plan the vacation with a few inputs from people who had been to Europe, including myself.

3.  Be honest with your criticism.  When my father first "submitted" his itinerary, I had significant doubts that I voiced (even though they might have been taken into consideration).

4.  Oversee their packing.  I know it sounds strange, but less is more, and they don't understand.  My parents each packed a large and small rolling suitcase and my mother brought her large purse.


5.  Get them a guide book.  Even if you planned the activities and know what you're going to do, give them a chance to be useful, even if this leads to them quoting Rick Steves on a daily basis.

6.  Make sure they're aware that it will be expensive.  Enjoy the luxury that they're willing to splurge for in order to be comfortable.

7.  Make sure that they won't miss experiences because they're worried about money.  I took the liberty of sending an email to family and friends asking for donations from them to spend on my parents in lieu of Christmas, birthday, or anniversary gifts.

8.  Advise them of minor cultural faux pas.  Two kisses in Spain, late night dining, no tipping (or ice!) in Europe.

While you're there:

9.  Tourists can't get mad at tourists.  My mother was enraged with the large tourists groups coming in and "ruining" her photo opportunities.

10.  Driving in Europe is worth it.  It may be a challenge and frustrating at times (primary because the Tomtom that came with your rental tells you to drive into a field), but it will give you marvelous views of the countryside and flexibility in terms of time.

11.  If you do rent a car, make a CD or I-pod playlist of good road songs.  After a while you get sick of the Tomtom bossing you around and everyone needs a break from everyone else.

12.  Bring a deck of cards.  This is a really great way to pass the time.

13.  Be sure to plan some breaks.  I know that everyone wants to believe that they can go 20 days without getting annoyed with their parents, but the truth is that many can't.  Check to see if your hotel offers massages, has a bathtub, or a spa area.

14.  Take charge.  Dictatorships always work better than democracies when it comes to making quick decisions, especially when you have a bit of a time restraint.

15.  Let your parents be parents.  Let them embarrass, lecture, and chide you.  Let them be tourists, because they are.  Let them try to speak to people in languages that they don't know, because deep down they believe that the person understood them.


Basic Spanish:
Churros con chocolate - Churros with Chocolate

Advanced Spanish:
Eres la luz que ilumina mi alma - you're the apple of my eye (you're the light that lights up my soul)

Basque:
Hemen Zaude - you are here

British English:
Motorway - highway

No comments:

Post a Comment