Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Awards

After visiting 7 countries, 10 cities, and countless tourist attractions, here are my bests and worsts of the trip.

Best country: Austria
Even though both the Czech Republic and Germany have always been two of my favorite countries and Italy surprised me, I have to go with Austria.  When you combine the pristine lakes with the backdrop of rocky, rolling green mountains, you can't lose.


Worst country(ies): France & Switzerland
It was bit unfortunate for France that the only city we visited was Mulhouse (the dirtiest and most unkempt city in France).  This coupled with the outrageous prices for the less than mediocre food that we were served made me dislike France.  Switzerland, on the other hand, is just ridiculously expensive.  When it costs $37 to get 5 items at McDonalds, something's wrong.  Also, we were unfortunate to not see any of the Alps due to the bad weather that we had.

Best city: Salzburg
The creators of the classic film the Sound of Music did a wonderful job selecting such a picturesque city for the backdrop of their masterpiece.  Everywhere one looks they may find nothing less than magnificence.  Breathtaking landscapes, impressive buildings, and marvelous gardens captivate its visitors and force them to come back for more.

Worst city:  Mulhouse
Just a hole in the wall.  Buildings in the old town being patched up left and right.  Garbage scattered throughout the city.  Its beautiful main square and efficient tram provide the city with potential, but not enough to look past its obvious lack of effort to upkeep the city.


Most touristy city: Prague
Streets, bridges, and restaurants are filled with hoards of tourists and everyone speaks English.  However, Prague is worth the struggle.


Least touristy city: Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
Its a nice little city nestled in foothills of the Bavarian Alps.  It seems as though it plays host primarily to German tourists, although there was a British film company filming while we were there.


Stay tuned...

Basic Spanish: vino tinto - red wine

Advanced Spanish: Capullo - idiot (literal translation - cocoon)

Basque: N/A

British English: N/A

2 comments:

  1. Ohh your not giving France a fair chance. I don't believe in assigning 100% words like best and worst unless I experience a place inside and out. Trust me, the first time I went to France I was so bias, since then I realized how wrong I was. I went to only one city and I was so tired and on the strictest budget known to man. Fast forward and I adore it. Maybe I just chalk it up to being older now. In any event... I enjoy following the blog. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on-took the same countries ranked in the same order. Sounds like a great trip1

    ReplyDelete