Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Backstory

Whether your reading my blog because your related to me, know me, or are interested in my adventure, please bear with me.  This is my first blog.  For those of you who need no introduction to who I am, feel free to skip the first three paragraphs.  For those of you who want to know my backstory, enjoy.

My story is nothing spectacular and by no means unique, but I'm going to tell it to you anyway.  Surprisingly, my story involves zero impulse, however, does cater to my ability to be easily persuaded.  Ever since I was young I have been at every and anyone's beck and call due to my need to please.  When my brothers' broke my collar bone when I was young I kept quiet because they wanted me to.  When my best childhood pal decided he wanted to play football instead of soccer, I gladly jumped on the band wagon.  When a girl I liked mentioned that she was doing a semester abroad in Spain, I quickly obliged the idea.  When I much admired professor of mine enlightened me of an opportunity to teach English in Spain for better part of a year I couldn't help but explore my options.  I, being a recent graduate of a wonderful public university in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, had two options; I could either begin the nerve-racking job search in the ever-unemployment ridden United States or enjoy an experience of a lifetime (and get paid to do so). Needless to say it didn't take a whole lot to get me back to the wonderful nation of Spain.

As I have previously mentioned, there was no impulse involved.  I first heard about this opportunity when I got back from Spain in the fall semester of my Junior year.  I entertained the idea for about a year or so until my options opened up in the Spring of my Senior year (coincidently after I finished a short three week stint in Spain visiting my cousin) when I decided that I was definitely going to apply for the program.  I began the application process in December of 2009.  It was long and tedious, not to mention very poorly planned process, during which I was in the process of completing my teaching practicum at a high school in Wisconsin.  There was however an end in sight; all at once as though the floodgates had broken wide open, I was accepted to the program, I finished my practicum, and I graduated.

I was relieved and overwhelmed.  Then it hit me, I was leaving in 3 months and I had yet to save enough money to even buy a plane ticket, let alone move to a foreign country.  Not to mention the fact that I had been extremely occupied with my previous three accomplishments that I neglected to find a job for the summer.  Luckily for me, due to my family's recent acquirement of a less than perfectly maintained cottage, my father was able to employ me for the start of the summer.  Also, due to some good connections that I made though out my college years I managed to snag two extra jobs for the second half of the summer.  That coupled with numerous generous donations from loved ones (all of which are greatly appreciated and I love all of you) permitted me to reach my goal.  Then came September 22nd and I was off.

Its not as bad as I have portrayed it since I neglected to mention that I wasn't alone on my adventure.  My girlfriend Liz had also chose to apply to the program, you can follow her blog Elizabeth en España at http://lizenespana.blogspot.com/.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment