Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Free opera tickets? Well if your asking...

Who ever said karma is bulls*** obviously never had anything good happen to them.  I have been a nice person my whole life and I guess has paid off for me.  My positive outlook on life has molded my personality into that of a kind and helpful person.  In most cases I usually put peoples feelings before my own. Last Saturday it paid off.

Last Sunday I went to the Guggenheim on a request from a friend.  It was a free day and there was finally a collection in the Guggenheim that warranted my attention.  It was my friend's first time in the Guggenheim.  They headed around in the lower permanent collection while I ran to the collection on the top floor.  I'm not sure what it is about modern art, but frankly I just don't have a taste for it.  Not to mention, I wanted to get lost in the Flemish collection on the 3rd floor.  I mettled around in this collection for about two hours or so.  Finally on my way out I decided that I was going to send a quick message to my friends to let them know that I was leaving.  During this time I heard something that immediately grabbed my attention.  It was the sweet sound of well-spoken English.  Admittedly anytime someone hears their first language in a country that doesn't speak their language, they will gravitate towards those people.  Moreover, I heard them mention a bathroom and they were looking at a map.  Therefore, very politely I said, "Oh, the bathroom is right over there".  Needless to say, they were hooked.

They did the whole "Oh you speak English, where are you from?".  I responded that I was from the United States, Wisconsin to be exact, and they mentioned that they were from Florida.  We carried on with the usual chatter and then I asked them what they were doing in Bilbao.  It goes without saying that I wasn't prepared for the answer that they gave me.  The woman said that they were in Bilbao for the opening of her husband's opera.  It turns out that her husband was the very famous composer/writer Carlisle Floyd.  His opera, Susannah, was opening for the first time ever in Spain.  At this point I hadn't the slightest clue what to say.  So I came up with the only excuse that I could to avoid a conversation about the opera, "I've always wanted to see one, but I've never had the money".  Of course, his wife said, "Hey, couldn't you hook him up with some tickets?".  Next thing I knew the publicist for the Bilbao opera took my number and asked when we would like to attend.  Next thing I knew, my girlfriend and I had scored 9th row tickets and a bag of goodies from the publicist and didn't pay a euro cent!


The only problem was that we had no idea what we were going to wear...

No comments:

Post a Comment